2 pm, Dec. 13, River Legacy Living Science Center. Explore the trails surrounding the Science Center on a family-friendly Naturalist-led Nature Walk. Free. RSVP to 817.860.6752.
Saturday Story Time
11 am, Dec. 20, River Legacy Living Science Center. Children of all ages are invited to listen to fun, seasonal stories presented by a librarian from Arlington Public Libraries. Stay after for related craft or activity. FREE. RSVP to 817.860.6752.
Living Science Center Closed Dec. 24-25 for the Christmas Holiday and Jan. 1 for New Year's Day.
Animal Exploration2 pm, Jan. 3, River Legacy Living Science Center. Discover the habits and adaptations of a native animal during a live animal observation with a River Legacy Naturalist. FREE. RSVP to 817.860.6752.
Privet Patrol9 am, Jan. 17, River Legacy Living Science Center. Join a team of volunteers guided by expert leaders to remove invasive privet from the Science Center and park grounds. Group meets every third Saturday.
Please sign-up online.Saturday Story Time11 am, Jan. 17, River Legacy Living Science Center. Children of all ages are invited to listen to fun, seasonal stories presented by a librarian from Arlington Public Libraries. Stay after for related craft or activity. FREE. RSVP to 817.860.6752.Nature School & Summer Pre-Registration9 am, February 9. For students currently enrolled in education programs or enrolled in summer classes last year.
Training Citizen Scientists - Texas Stream Team Texas Stream Team is a statewide network of citizen scientists and supportive partners working together to gather information about natural resources. River Legacy Living Science Center is offering training in Core and Advanced Water Quality Monitoring for the Texas Stream Team, a cooperative partnership between The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment, The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Become a certified Texas Stream Team Citizen Scientist at River Legacy Living Science Center from 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday, Jan. 31. After this training, volunteers can collect water quality data for local water protection projects.
Become an advanced water quality monitor at River Legacy Living Science Center from 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday, March 7. After this training, volunteers will be able to collect additional water quality data such as nutrients and bacteria.
Space is limited, reservations required. To register or to learn more, call 817.860.6752, ext. 105.
Contact Us River Legacy Foundation
Living Science Center
703 NW Green Oaks Blvd.
Arlington, TX 76006
Our Animals Would LOVE some Holiday Giving!
Our educational animals sent us a wish list this year! They have asked for a few of their favorite things, including gift cards to Amazon (where we buy filters and reptibark) & to grocery stores for food and supplies. Our opossum would like to help us raise $500 to expand her enclosure. Stop by the Science Center to help us fill their holiday wishes:
- Take an ornament tag from the Gifting Tree at the front desk with the animal's wish you would like to fulfill.
- Detach and fill out the form on the back side of the ornament so that the animals can send you a thank you and we can send you a tax receipt.
- Place the form in the donation box.
- Drop off your donated item(s) anytime between 9 am and 5 pm Mondays through Saturdays at River Legacy Living Science Center.Our Animals THANK YOU!
Give the Gift of Nature! Need some gift ideas for the nature lover in your family or for the person who has everything! Consider these unique gift-giving options:
- Give the Gift of Summer or Nature School: Have a special child in your life who loves learning about and enjoying the great outdoors? Purchase a gift certificate for a Summer at the Science Center program in June and July or for our 2015-2016 Nature School preschool program. To purchase your certificate, stop by the Science Center or call Education Director Debbie Vernon at 817.860.6752.
- Adopt a Wildlife Ambassador: Adoption packages
start at $25 and include a photograph of your animal, wildlife fact sheet, adoption certificate and more. Download the sponsor application or stop by the Science Center to pick one up.
- Make an Honorarium Donation: Donate to River Legacy Foundation in honor of a family member or friend! We will send your honoree a special acknowledgement letter and will send you a tax receipt. Donate online and select Tribute Gift as the donation type or stop by the Science Center to make your donation in person.
- Shop our Gift Store: Find an array of unique nature-themed gifts, toys, jewelry, ornaments and more at Acorns Gift Shop located inside River Legacy Living Science Center. Acorns is also one of only two authorized retailers in Texas of Wee Forest Folk miniatures. Store hours are 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays through Saturdays. All proceeds support the Center's environmental education programs.
- Give or Keep a Special Ornament: Take home a hand-crafted wood birdhouse ornament to give as a gift with a special message or keep for yourself for a $25 donation to River Legacy Foundation. Donations for these ornaments can be made at Acorns Gift Shop.
Dallas Sierra Club Workshops! River Legacy Living Science Center has partnered with Dallas Sierra Club to offer an "Outdoor Doubleheader" in January teaching the basics of camping and backpacking!Hiking and Camping the Great Parks of Texas
Jan. 10 - 1 to 3:30 pm:Discover the hidden outdoor gems within a few hours of the DFW concrete jungle in this presentation led by Wendel Withrow, author of The Best in Tent Camping - Texas. Learn tent camping basics and discover some great hiking trails and tips for venturing into the great outdoors. Cost is $30. Books available for just $10 that day only. Stay after for autograph.Backpacking 101Jan. 17 - 10 am to 2 pm:Leave the crowds in the campgrounds. Backpacking enables you to move into backcountry serenity, expanding your mobility to trails where your car can't take you. Dallas Sierra Club outing leaders with decades of experience leading multi-day backpacking trips will demonstrate what you need to know to begin or enhance your own backpacking experiences. Bring a sack lunch or a drink and a snack. Cost is $30.Sign up for the doubleheader of both classes for just $50! Space is limited. Please RSVP to 817.860.6752, ext. 102. Payment is due at time of registration.
Future environmental stewards start here. Make a difference. Support the work of River Legacy Foundation.
Sunday, December 14, 2014
Holiday Gift Giving Ideas
https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/09/26/how-to-make-sure-youve-taken-youth-protection/ How to make sure...