$10 off for everyone attending Week 3. $15 off for week 4.
KEEP IN TOUCH:
Phone: (817) 231-8537
For major Scouting news from across the council look for the new Longhorn e-Newsletter.
See us at the Council Camporee!Scouts & Venturers are invited to join our living history staff and Crew 1872 for a week as a 4th Cavalry trooper on the Texas frontier. Fire carbines, cannons, and gatling guns in battle reenactments of the 1870's Red River War and the Civil War (1861-65). Our quartermaster fixes mountains of food! (read more)Crew 1872 and our Chisholm Trail Adventure US Cavalry living history staff attended the huge 150th anniversary Gettysburg reenactment in July this summer. (see photos)
The new facility offers programs for Boy Scout Troops & families including overnight lock-ins, birthday parties, meeting rooms, Climbing Towers, Pool rentals,swim tests, a Starship Bridge & space flight simulators, and reptile shows.
Longhorn Council, Boy Scouts of America, 850 Cannon Drive, Hurst, TX 76054
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Thursday, November 17, 2016
District Leaders, Committee Chairs, Members-at-Large, Supporters of Scouting in Arlington -
The following areas of interest can help our District have a strong year-end finish, with your help:
1. Training. We are 10 leaders short of reaching our goal for trained leaders. If we can get 10 leaders
who have not been trained, especially Den Leaders or Cubmasters to take the online training for their position, (and
also make sure your YPT training is current) we can close the gap.
Please contact Richard Kincaid, email@example.com if you need information on how to complete online training.
See the following comment from Council:
Direct Contact Leader Training. To improve the Direct Contact Leaders Trained situation, it might help you to know that, for JTE purposes, the only training that counts is position-specific for direct contact leaders: TL, DL, WL, CM, SM, VC, NL and SK.* No assistants. To be considered trained YPT has to be current. Maybe expired YPT is the problem?
* Key to position codes:
TL = Tiger Den Leader
DL = Den Leader
WL = Webelos Leader
CM = Cubmaster (MC is Committee Member)
SM = Scoutmaster
VC = Varsity Coach
NL = Crew Advisor (I don't know where that comes from)
SK = Skipper of a Sea Scout Ship
If you have recently completed Wood Badge training, please make sure it gets recorded by the end of the year.
2. Advancements. Please make sure your advancements are recorded at the Council office, either through the Scout Shop or your Unit Advancement Chair and Unit Commissioner. Newly minted Bobcats should be recorded by the end of the year. We need 55 more Cub Scouts to report their advancements to reach our goal.
The Advancement Rate for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts has dropped since the end of 2015. We think it is a reporting issue.
3. Service Hours. Please record your unit’s service hours. We are 1403 hours short of reaching our goal. If you have performed service that qualifies or need to make plans before the end of the year, we appreciate the service you provide to our community.
Invite friends to participate in year-end Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing activities. Ask them to join your unit.
Thank you for your hard work and service this past year.
I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season.
Yours in Scouting,
Gregory Schadt, District Chairman
Cross Timbers District
Longhorn Council, BSA
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
We would like to cordially invite you !Boy Scout Troop 520Annual Spaghetti DinnerNovember 14, 20166:00 – 7:30 PMNew World United Methodist Church2201 N. Davis Arlington TXAdult Tickets $5.00Children Tickets $ 3.00Family Tickets $ 13.00Deserts $ .50Tickets will be sold at the door!Spaghetti will be served with an assortment of sauces, salad, bread, and drink. Assorted deserts can be purchased. Door prizes will be drawn for thru the evening. Bring the family for an evening of good food and fun.
Monday, November 7, 2016
Cross Timbers Training Report November 1, 20161. 1. Fall Training Dates: District Training registration see District WebsiteNovember 10 - COR – Charter Organization Representative Specific Training LDS California Bldg. 4 signed upNovember 19 - University of Scouting – Council TTC Trinity River Campus Downtown Ft. Worth2. 2. Trainings Completed:September 24 - BALOO – 12 Participants - 8 XT 4 Out of DistrictOctober 8 - Scoutmaster and ASM Specific Training - CancelledOctober 22 Cubmaster/ACM Specific Training 3 all TejasPack Committee Specific Training 0Den Leader /ADL Specific Training 2 XT3. 3. Face to Face Training for Winter Camp and Winter Twin Arrows
Our certification with the State expired in August and has not been renewed. Scouters with expired Face to Face YPT need to go to State website and take another training. Any Face to Face Training taken since August is not valid if the State does a check. (List Attached) (via Council Training Committee)
4. 4. Serious need to clear up my.scouting problems for District and Council JTE
We are within a small number of moving our JTE up (see attached District Training report)
- I will enter training and there will be tables and computers to help clear up problems at Council Camporee and University of Scouting.
- There are several people with multiple numbers and using temporary numbers; Temporary numbers are short and often start with 2
5. 5. New "Troop Committee Challenge" Training Syllabus out
6. 6. Tentative XT Spring Training working on locations etc. to get on council and district Web before Dec.
February 4 - Location TBA
- 9:00 am - 11:30am
- – Youth Training (Adults welcome) 12:30 – 3:30- Location TBAFebruary 18February 25March 3 -4 MK Ranch Near Waxachie Combined with Tejas– Charter Organization Representative Specific Training
If you have already taken training but it is not on your my.scouting let me know so I can enter it.Charter Organization Representative Training
Sponsored by Cross Timbers District
Thursday, November 10, 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.LDS California Building1500 California Ln. (California and Fielder), Arlington, TX
- Provides CORs with the basic info they need to build successful Units for the Charter organization.
- Meets requirements, along with YPT, for CORs to be considered Trained
Who Should Attend?
Pack, Troop, Venture Crew Organization Personnel, all LDS Bishopric members
Contact: Richard Kincaid, Cross Timbers Training Chairkincaidrichard@hotmail.com
Register at: crosstimbersdistric.org Cost free